Millennium Memory Bank
St George's, Telford and Wrekin (cf. SED Kynnersley)
The British Library Board acknowledges the intellectual property rights of those named as contributors to this recording and the rights of those not identified.
Legal and ethical usage »
St George's, Telford and Wrekin, Shropshire: OS Grid Reference(370500,310500)
Lee, Chris Eldon (male, interviewer)
Scott, Rosemary Lynn (b.1954/01/03, female, education administration officer)
Rosemary talks about the creation of Telford as a new town in the 1960s. She describes the area beforehand and outlines the ambitious plans, the initial problems, her pride in the modern Telford and the outlook for the future. Telford was designated a New Town in 1968 after the Telford Development Corporation (TDC) merged the existing towns of Wellington, Oakengates, Donnington, Dawley (to the south of St George’s), Madeley and Ironbridge, together with a lot of smaller villages. Wolverhampton is a large town to the southeast. Sutton Hill (at the southern tip), Stafford Park (on the eastern outskirts) and Halesfield (in the southeastern outskirts) are all areas of Telford.